A passive approach to sitting results in cumulative strain to joints and ligaments that can stress out or even inhibit the activity of our deep core stabilizers. The body responds by shortening muscles that are designed to move us such as our hip flexors, pecs, and piriformis to name a few. So, what does this mean to you? The more you passively hang on your joints and ligaments, the more you will feel the need to stretch or foam roll. Always remember that joints respond to stress by wearing out, while muscles tend to increase in strength and activation.
5 Steps to Smarter Sitting
1. Be tall by pulling your head towards to the sky.
2. Keep shoulder blades back and down.
3. Now would be a good time to take a deep breath. Keep those shoulders from lifting too much.
4. Make sure your abs are turned on. Maintaining just a little bit of stiffness through the core goes a long way.
5. Remember alignment. Your ears, shoulders, hips, knees and ankles should all stack up for a perfect posture.
The more you revisit or practice these steps consciously the more likely you are to end up there subconsciously.
For more information contact us: http://clinicfit.training/contact-us/
Or… Just give us a call: (503) 747-4279
Matt Hemsley – ClinicFit
17700 SW Upper Boones Ferry Rd., Suite 135
Durham, OR 97224